As 2014 winds down, I’ve noticed a lot of “greatest hits” that are listed for this year. Not to be out done, I’ve compiled my own for my dedicated blog readers. Some on the list are personal and some are business-related.
10. Employing and providing opportunities for an additional 35,000 people around the world.
9. Surpassing 700,000 rooms. Over a million people stay in our hotels on any given night.
8. Visiting 175 hotels. It’s so exciting to meet our great associates and to see what they are doing.
7. Creating Moxy Hotels. Our Millennial brand is born.
6. Opening the first Edition Hotel in the U.S. in Florida.
5. Acquiring a Model T Ford for our headquarter’s lobby, similar to the one my parents drove cross-country to begin the company.
4. Launching the Marriott China Hospitality Education Initiative or (CHEI) to train Chinese teachers in the hospitality business, so they can train the hospitality associates of the future.
2. Attending grandchildren and great-grandchildren events. With 15 grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren, going to graduations, sports games, plays and church events, it’s a lot of fun and it’s busy.
1. Holding hands and going to the movies on date night with my wife, Donna. Nothing compares.
I hope 2014 has been a very good year for you and I wish you all the best in 2015. Please leave a comment with your own highlights.
I’m Bill Marriott and thanks for helping me keep Marriott on the move.