Springing Forward for Our Guests

Posted:03/27/200712:30 PM

SpringHill Suites Guest Room Well, I'm heading back to Texas, to San Antonio.  That's where our General Managers for our Courtyard, SpringHill Suites and Fairfield Inn brands are meeting.  There's a lot going on with each of these brands.  Courtyard is rapidly expanding everywhere with a new prototype in Europe.  We'll soon double the number there to about 100 hotels in the next 5 years.  Fairfield Inn has been reinvigorated and the results have been terrific with higher guest satisfaction and better financial performance.  A lot of you, I know, have stayed at Courtyard with its 700 hotels and Fairfield with their 500, but today I want to talk to you about SpringHill Suites and its guests.

Bridges...from school to work

Posted:03/20/2007 1:44 PM

Bridges I've been talking and writing about opportunity a lot lately.  It seemed to have a connection with some of you who wrote back.  About two decades ago, I ignored our lawyers' advice and supported the Americans with Disabilities Act.  They told me it would cost a lot of money to retrofit our hotels, to make them accessible to people with disabilities.  I said, "Look, we're a hospitality company, we have to welcome everyone." The same is true about welcoming them as employees and giving them opportunities.

Breaking News: It's a Girl!

Posted:03/13/2007 6:31 PM

It's a girl! This is Bill Marriott. This morning at 10:40 my wonderful daughter-in-law Carrie and son David had a beautiful baby girl, seven pounds, one ounce. They have two boys and now they have a little girl. Her brother Jack, when informed about this wonderful event, said "She'll love me Daddy." Jack is three.

Keeping Our Guests Connected

Posted:03/12/200712:13 PM

Connectivity Panel and HDTV We hold a lot of company conferences here at Marriott - like the recent gathering of our 800 JW Marriott, Marriott and Renaissance general managers.  That's because we want to make sure our associates are informed about all the innovative initiatives we're launching and it's a great way to exchange ideas too.

A Leader In Our Industry

Posted:03/07/2007 5:26 PM

Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs I want to keep talking about the environment because it's very much on the minds of people here at Marriott and around the world.  Global warming has been getting so much attention recently, especially with former Vice President Al Gore's documentary - An Inconvenient Truth - winning an Oscar.  I'm a movie buff and I saw the film and thought it was very sobering.

Role Model for Recycling

Posted:03/02/2007 7:37 PM

Trashy Wine at the San Francisco Marriott I just returned from a General Managers' conference at the San Francisco Marriott.  The associates at that hotel are serving as role models for our company's efforts to conserve natural resources and recycle waste.  Becoming a better environmental steward is increasingly at the core of what we do.  And I think it makes good business sense too.