INNspiring Stories from Residence Inn by Marriott

Posted:05/28/2008 5:12 PM

Waslv_phototour01 By now, I think regular readers of my blog know that I love a good story.  I enjoy hearing stories about great service and tales of perseverance and determination.  They really inspire me and are a great pick-me-up.

I recently received a compilation of some great stories from the leader of our Residence Inn brand team.  Our associates were asked to submit inspiring, moving stories from their properties, and the best ones were packaged into a book we call "We Are INNspiring."

See the Lobby Reinvented at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis Hotel

Posted:05/23/2008 6:11 PM

Atlanta Marriott Marquis While I was in Atlanta to volunteer at the Atlanta Community Food Bank, I also stopped by our newly renovated Atlanta Marriott Marquis hotel.  When it opened in 1985, it was the city's largest hotel - and it still is.  It was certainly known for its fantastic breakthrough design.  Now, they've just completed a huge $140 million renovation and they've recaptured breakthrough design.

This hotel really sparkles.  I was so impressed with the wonderful concierge lounge with a great view of the city, and with the new lobby, which really picks up our great room ideas - lots of places to sit and you can work your laptop.

Lending a Hand in the Fight Against Hunger

Posted:05/20/2008 8:19 PM

Atlanta Community Food Bank Last week, I told you about our Spirit To Serve Our Communities Day.  It's held every May and our associates around the world are given time off from work to volunteer in their communities.  They participate in activities that range from building homes with Habitat for Humanity to cleaning up local parks and rivers.

Just One Way Marriott Associates Fight World Hunger

Posted:05/15/2008 6:45 PM

Jwm_tree Every May, our associates around the world take part in our annual Spirit To Serve Our Communities Day.  We give them time off to volunteer in their local communities.  In the Washington, D.C. area, for the last 20 years, many of our associates have worked with the Capital Area Food Bank to help alleviate hunger locally.

I was really disturbed several years ago when I learned that many, many young children in the Washington area go to bed hungry every night, and I tried to do what I could to help.

White Lodging and Marriott: A Shared Committment

Posted:05/13/2008 8:21 PM

Brucewhite I'm very happy to tell you about a good friend and business partner, Bruce White and his company, White Lodging.  White Lodging just reached a huge milestone and opened its 99th and 100th hotels with Marriott.  These new hotels are a Residence Inn and a SpringHill Suites that are housed in the same building in downtown Chicago.

My Vision for the Future of Marriott . . . Our Corporate Culture

Posted:05/07/2008 4:29 PM

P1000164 A group of Wall Street investors came to visit us and their first question to me was, "What is your vision for the future of this company for the next five years?"

There were a lot of ways I could've answered this question.  I thought about it for awhile and I said, "I think the future and the vision for this company is to continue to foster, maintain and improve our company culture."

History in the Making at Our Renaissance Hotels

Posted:05/01/2008 5:33 PM

GEO22297 As you know from reading my blog, I'm a history buff.  While many of our Marriott hotels have played a role in making history, the Renaissance brand, which we acquired in 1997, has some of the most storied and interesting hotels in the world.