Business Week Names Marriott One of the 100 Best Places to Launch a Career

Posted:09/30/2008 4:43 PM

BestPlacesLg Business Week magazine recently named Marriott one of the 100 Best Places to Launch a Career.  With lots of exciting companies on the list, like Google, we're excited that Marriott was ranked sixth.  We have exciting brands and a huge range of jobs from finance to hotel operations to marketing, hotel development and systems.  But, bottom line, we offer opportunities to learn and to grow.

Marriott Remains Committed to Global Travel After Hotel Bombing

Posted:09/23/200810:39 PM

It has been a very difficult few days since a truck bomb detonated in front of our Islamabad Marriott hotel in Pakistan.  Many lives were lost and many more were injured.  As you may have heard by now, the entire security team on the ground at the entrance to the hotel was killed in the attack.  These brave men were simply doing their jobs and gave their lives in an effort to protect the guests at their hotel, as well as their fellow associates.  They will forever be remembered as heroes and I send my deepest condolences to their families and friends.

This Senseless Tragedy . . .

Posted:09/20/2008 9:00 PM
I am very sad to report a terrible tragedy at our Marriott hotel in Islamabad, Pakistan.  At approximately 7:00 p.m. local time, a large truck pulled up to the security checkpoint of the heavily guarded hotel and exploded.  The huge blast engulfed the front of the hotel and ruptured a gas line, which caused a large fire to break out.

The situation is still unfolding.  Right now, we can't confirm the number of people who have died or have been injured, but news reports are numbering it in the dozens, most of them Marriott employees.

This senseless tragedy and the profound loss of life has left me greatly saddened.  My heart goes out to those who've been injured and the families of the victims.

We put a very high premium on security at Marriott. In this case, I salute the bravery of the security personnel who were right there when the suicide bomber struck.  They had stopped the truck just outside the fortified gate. They were examining it when the bomb detonated. Sadly each member of the team was killed. These guys were defending the lives of hotel guests and their fellow co-workers. They were killed in the line of their duty.

Currently, our associates who escaped serious injury are doing whatever they can to assist with rescue and recovery efforts.  The actions of these associates in Islamabad and their desire and willingness to help in a time of such tremendous tragedy are a true testament to Marriott's culture.

I want to thank everyone who has left comments of condolence on my blog.

Statement on the Explosion at the Islamabad Marriott Hotel

At approximately 7:00 p.m. local time, an apparent car bomb exploded outside of the Islamabad Marriott in Pakistan.  The bomb caused extensive damage to the front of the hotel and started a fire.  Marriott International and the hotel are working with local authorities and rescue personnel to assist victims.  News reports indicate numerous people were killed and injured in the blast.  "We live in a dangerous world and this is a terrible tragedy.  We grieve for those people who died, or were injured, and their families," said Bill Marriott.

For information on guests staying at the Islamabad Marriott, please contact 866/211-4610 or 402/390-3265.  Media should call 301/380-7770.

Celebrating Diversity One Hotel at a Time

Posted:09/18/2008 4:30 PM

Residence Inn National Harbor Grand Opening I'm blogging today from the Residence Inn National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland.  I'm here to celebrate the grand opening of this fabulous new hotel right outside of Washington, D.C.  It is part of a new suburban Washington community called National Harbor.  It's really a neat area with lots of restaurants and shops close by.

A One Percent Chance of Survival and He Beat the Odds

Posted:09/15/2008 3:08 PM

3-cap A little while ago, I had a very memorable visitor come to my office.  His name is Mark Raines and his company is called Raines Development Group.  They own and operate our Courtyard and SpringHill Suites hotels in Florence, South Carolina.  They are building their third Marriott property, a Residence Inn, in the same neighborhood.

One of the Best Marriott Deals Yet

Posted:09/08/2008 9:32 AM

Rejuvenation Life can be pretty hectic and, just like everybody else, I sometimes like to get away to relax and recharge my batteries.  My wife Donna is a big advocate of making time to be with our family and time to recharge my engines.  I sure think it helps make me a better manager and a better CEO.

Should John McCain Become a Blogger?

Posted:09/02/2008 5:18 PM

Twitter The Internet and new media is playing a big role in the 2008 U.S. Presidential elections.  Barack Obama has certainly taken it to new heights when he revealed his vice presidential running mate through text message.