Celebrating 25 Years of Courtyard Hotels

Posted:10/30/2008 7:29 PM

Courtyard 25th Anniversary I'm blogging today from the brand new Courtyard by Marriott at the Newport News Airport in southeastern Virginia.  Today we're celebrating Courtyard's 25th anniversary.  We opened the first one in 1983 and there are a lot of alums here today who were at the first opening and who continued on with our company to today.

Thanking Our Loyal Marriott Customers

Posted:10/27/2008 4:53 PM

DSCF1000 Today kicks off a very special week for Marriott and our customers.  Every October, we celebrate Global Customer Appreciation Week.  We do this to thank our customers around the world for the business and their loyalty.

Marriott Helps Protect the Amazon Rainforest

Posted:10/23/2008 6:02 PM

Juma Sustainable Reserve I'm Arne Sorenson, the CFO of Marriott International and co-chair of the company's green council.  Bill Marriott asked me to be a guest blogger to tell you how Marriott's on the move in the Amazon rainforest.  As a matter of fact, I'm standing in the middle of the rainforest right now in a small 17 home community called Boa Frente, where I landed a few hours ago by seaplane.

Making It Easier for Travelers to Visit the United States

Posted:10/21/200812:19 PM

IStock_000006060179XSmall I'm thrilled with President Bush's announcement on Friday that seven new countries will be added to the U.S. government's Visa Waiver Program.  The Visa Waiver Program allows travelers from certain qualifying countries, like the UK, Japan and Australia, to visit our country without having to get a visitor visa.  The U.S government plans to add South Korea, Czech Republic, Hungary, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Slovakia.  It's a great first step to attract more international travelers to visit the United States, which is a key part of stimulating our economy.

Marriott Associates Delivering Exceptional Service

Posted:10/14/2008 6:24 PM

Emma Rau I've blogged many times about how much I love to hear stories about exceptional customer service.  Both guests and associates constantly send me wonderful stories.  Let me share a few of my recent favorites.

The first was from a book by Joseph A. Michelli called The New Gold Standard, which examines how our Ritz-Carlton creates legendary experiences for their guests and those in their local communities.  One of the examples used in the book is the story of Natalie Salazar, who at age 13 was diagnosed with terminal cancer.  One of Natalie's biggest concerns was she was never going to be able to attend her high school prom.

A Book I Read This Past Summer

Posted:10/07/2008 1:35 PM

IStock_000006652619XSmall Since I spent my boyhood years growing up during the Second World War, I've always been fascinated with its history.  I was living in Washington, D.C., at the time, and I was exposed to a lot of the military people coming and going, and to a lot of wonderful parades of returning war heroes.

My search for history has led me to George Arrington's bookstore in Ogunquit, Maine.  I've found some fascinating old books, many written in first person by the men who fought in World War II.  This past summer, I plowed through the war memories of Field Marshall Erich Von Manstein, who was labeled Germany's most brilliant general.  Since I've come to believe that military leadership can offer many lessons to help anyone who is trying to lead a group of people in business, politics or any other organization, I found these memories very instructive.