Thanking Our Loyal Marriott Customers

Posted: October 27, 2008 04:53:34 PM

DSCF1000 Today kicks off a very special week for Marriott and our customers.  Every October, we celebrate Global Customer Appreciation Week.  We do this to thank our customers around the world for the business and their loyalty.

This year, the theme is "The Spirit to Preserve."  Marriott has done a lot to be a greener company over the past years.  We want to make sure our customers know what we're doing to be sensitive to our carbon footprint.

We're offering our group customers the opportunity to host green meetings in our hotels, which includes a carbon offset program where we'll donate a contribution on their behalf to protect the endangered rainforest in the Amazon.  Forests are the lungs of the planet, inhaling carbon dioxide, and through our Spirit to Preserve the Rainforest, Marriott and our guests will be making a huge investment to fight climate change.

In addition to educating our guests about our green practices, our hotels around the globe will be hosting their own customer appreciation events and going out in their communities to thank their best customers this week.

One of my favorite parts of Global Customer Appreciation Week takes place on Wednesday.  I'll be going to our Bethesda Marriott Conference Center outside of Washington, D.C., with a team of Marriott executives and many of our sales associates from around the area.  We'll all be personally calling and thanking many of our top customers.  I really like this because, like blogging, making these phone calls allows me to speak with our customers and hear what they have to say.

To all the loyal readers of my blog, I want to thank you for staying at Marriott hotels around the world and hope you'll keep coming back.

I'm Bill Marriott and thanks for helping me keep Marriott on the move.

Thanking Our Loyal Marriott Customers

Comments

Posted By: Hank Mancini (10/27/2008 at 02:43 PM)
Comment:

Loyalty does not come cheap! Marriott has earned my loyalty by consistently delivering very good to excellent service.
Marriott Rewards is a very rewarding program to belong to. My loyalty to Marriott brands has paid off by the many wonderful reward stays my wife and I have enjoyed.
Marriott does a great job of taking care of it's guests. I know whenever I see the Marriott name I will feel welcomed and at home.
Thanks!

Posted By: Sundeep (10/27/2008 at 02:47 PM)
Comment:

Bill,
You have an exceptional opportunity to keep saying thank you to your customers (frequent and not so frequent) every time they come to your property.
I just spent two nights at one of your locations last week and the front desk folks reinforced your commitment.
While I have mostly good experiences and only a few bad ones - consistency is a hard thing to have.
Why don't you encourage your hotel staff to talk about the sweepstakes as a thank you. Also, I really would like your front office staff to be driving people to your blog.
It should be your way to reconnect, or how to make your product a service -http://www.emailyogi.com/2008/10/from-product-to-service.html.

Posted By: Rick (10/27/2008 at 07:05 PM)
Comment:

Mr Marriott - A great many of your loyal guests would value your response to the many comments left on the Ed French's new blog in response to the announcement about the new changes in the REWARDS program.

Posted By: Eric Cunningham (10/27/2008 at 08:24 PM)
Comment:

Bill - Hopefully you have been made aware of the firestorm of protest taking place at Marriott's forum regarding the new No Blackout Dates changes to Marriott Rewards (http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.marriott.com/topic/2009-Program-Changes/Welcome-2009-Program/14000001210&start=15). Well over 90% of the postings reflect surprise, anger, frustration & disappointment regarding the severe devaluation of points being made to Marriott Rewards. In particular, MVCI owners are going to take a major hit in the value of their timeshares by this point devaluation. There is a lot of talk about Marriott Rewards members & MVCI owners discontinuing their relationships with Marriott. I encourage you to read some of the postings - particularly RobertB and UpsetLFTPlat on October 25. Since Ed French's original post on October 20, there has been little posting activity from Marriott corporate and what has been posted has not directly addressed the primary concerns being voiced by members & owners. This entire fiasco seems to directly conflict with Marriott's Code of Ethics (http://ir.shareholder.com/mar/downloads/codeofethics.pdf). The fact that this started right before Global Customer Appreciation Week is sadly ironic.

Posted By: Robert (10/28/2008 at 06:27 AM)
Comment:

Bill,
I've always felt appreciated at Marriott. I'm a Platinum Elite member and your rewards programs has kept me loyal to your properties. I wonder why the week before your announcement of Customer Appreciation Week, Marriott announced the biggest changes to your rewards program redemptions. I don't see your changes to the reward redemptions in my favor, no matter how I do the math. Is this how you reward your most loyal customers?
Your timing makes me very concerned.

Posted By: Paul A Grabowski (10/28/2008 at 10:16 AM)
Comment:

Thank you Bill Marriott, for all your efforts that have contributed to the success of your properties. The success of the Marriott brand is because of the commitment you and your Senior managment team have made to your customer base and employees around the world.When I travel,either alone or with the family we always chose Marriott because of the consistant quality of the Service your engaged employees provide. The overall physical condition of your Hotels is excellant regardless of location.You offer us a unique expierence on every stay.
Thanks again for all you do in providing this quality product.

Posted By: Muriel Bodenweber (10/29/2008 at 11:55 AM)
Comment:

It is too bad that a very poor decision by someone kept your Marriott World of Rewards promotion from being viewed by many. I tried all manner of ways to open what should have been links. However, all I kept getting was the message to download Adobe Flash Player.
Did no one ever test out this mess? Was it tested only on the same equipment where it was constructed? Was the assumption made that all receivers of this email had the latest, up-to-date equipment. with the latest operating systems and were on a direct fast internet connection?
Making every effort to view this email, I finally went to the public library to use their computers. Different brand - Microsoft vs. Macintosh. Guess what? I could not open anything at all - just kept getting the message that the newest version of Flash Player had to be downloaded. Multiply the public library users times the number of people using, oh say, System X 3.9 or lower, and that is a lot of people unable to enter the World of Rewards. But then, maybe that was the point all along. (Flash Player cannot be installed on systems older than the latest version.)
In the interest of making this World of Rewards available to all contacts, I would suggest that you redesign the email notice and scrap whatever it is that requires Flash Player. There certainly are millions of web sites that operate just fine without Flash. And, how does Adobe have such control over the creator's or user's use of the internet? You might also look to hire a replacement web-email person.
I also clicked on the Can't view this email? prompt but it came up with the same stuff and none of the links progressed to any further pages. I did send a reply message to the sender of this email but of course it was never acknowledged.
Sincerely,
Muriel Bodenweber
murbeth@comcast.net

Posted By: Jennifer Abbott (11/04/2008 at 10:46 AM)
Comment:

I have just recently joined the Marriott Rewards program and the main reason I did is because the of the wonderful service I have received with sales and catering personnel at the Charleston Town Center Marriott. The staff there has always been on the ball with my needs and made sure my event went off without a glitch. Another reason I joined is because of the reputation the Marriott brand has - full service, courteous staff, fabulous accommodations and more. The Marriott name says it all.

Posted By: Ken E. (11/05/2008 at 03:38 PM)
Comment:

Hello Bill - To echo some of your other posters, I am dissapointed by the changes to the rewards programs. I have been saving for several years to book a 7 day European Hopper in the spring - alas to only have it cancelled. Consistency and trust are the most important factors in loyalty. The expectation of a reward being achieved cannot be met if the program is changed. Thanks, but please consider revising the program back, otherwise everyone will be heading to Starwood's program.

Posted By: Tempe Spanish Classes (11/08/2008 at 06:00 AM)
Comment:

I too have a lot of reward points built up and this new change has seriously affected my ability to use them as planned. I don't think it is fair to promise something and then take it away.

Posted By: Brad Z (11/11/2008 at 08:00 AM)
Comment:

Bill: I love Marriott, I really do. But your recent changes to your Rewards program means you have lost me, and many others I suspect, as a loyal customer.

Posted By: Hotels Springfield Missouri (01/11/2011 at 12:02 PM)
Comment:

Marriott has one of the best customer rewards programs in the travel industry...this is just another great example :)

Posted By: James Bellanca (04/29/2011 at 01:58 PM)
Comment:

I'm also very disappointed in the discontinuation of the Hawaii and European Hopper awards. Please bring them both back.