Good Luck to Our New President-Elect Barack Obama

Posted: November 14, 2008 12:58:19 PM

Barack_Obama Like many of you, I have been thinking about the historic nature of the 2008 U.S. presidential election.  Nearly 130 million Americans came to the polls on November 4th because they were excited about the choice between two very talented and patriotic candidates.

I was impressed on election night when Barack Obama reached out and said, "To those Americans whose support I have yet to earn, I may not have won your vote but I hear your voices, I need your help and I will be your president, too." He has promised a bi-partisan administration that will unite the country and move us to economic prosperity. I certainly hope and pray that he's very successful.

Most importantly, I salute his historic accomplishment. Never in my lifetime did I imagine that I would see an African-American President of the United States. When my parents opened up their first root beer stand in Washington, D.C., more than 80 years ago, lunch counters were segregated. I grew up at a time when schools were divided between white and black.

Our first Marriott hotel opened before the Civil Rights laws that prohibited discrimination in public accommodations were in place. Working for our company in 1968, I'll never forget hearing about Dr. Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech. Forty years later, this campaign drew from that same sense of hope and promise of a better future for all. It generated unprecedented levels of engagement across race, age and gender.

As a global company with 3,000 hotels, we know that understanding and respecting other cultures is critical to our success. Having a diverse and inclusive corporate culture improves team performance and innovation. It's the only way we can attract the top talent and more customers.

With a father from Kenya and a mother from Kansas, Barack Obama embodies this new global perspective. That's why his election was cheered by people from around the world. Obama articulated the hope and opportunity that is the bedrock of the American dream. It's the hope that inspired my parents to drive from Utah to Washington, D.C., and open up that little root beer stand back in 1927. It's the opportunity for growth and development that we work hard to provide at our hotels worldwide. It's the determination to make their voices count that inspired so many Americans to go to the polls to prove that we're a country where all men and women are created equal and where the opportunities are unlimited. I'm very excited to see what's ahead for America and for the world.

I'm Bill Marriott and thanks for helping me keep Marriott on the Move.

Good Luck to Our New President Elect Barack Obama

Comments

Posted By: Maceo Thomas (11/14/2008 at 06:54 AM)
Comment:

Wonderful message.

Posted By: Jeffrey Santoro (11/14/2008 at 07:16 AM)
Comment:

Great blog Mr. Marriott. As a frequent traveler, I think Marriott embodies the concept of an organization on the move and one that is never afraid of embracing change. Your diverse staff are exceedingly talented and committed to making every stay exceptional. I have enjoyed watching your organization transform for the better at every level of your operations. Like President-Elect Obama, Marriott is a leader and one that I trust now and in the future.

Posted By: Ron (11/14/2008 at 07:31 AM)
Comment:

Regardless of political affiliation, here is to hoping for a turnaround in our country's economic prospects as well as those of the rest of our world. It's easy to forget how tied together all of the world's prosperity is and how dependent we each are on the other's success. On a related note, thank you for your company's commitment to "going green" which in turn benefits the whole world.

Posted By: Dioni (11/14/2008 at 10:22 AM)
Comment:

What an inspiring message this is, I hope more people can read it. I just hope we as a country all feel this way, it would help us all become better people, a better country and a better world.

Posted By: Leon Williams (11/14/2008 at 11:33 AM)
Comment:

Congrats Pres.-Elect Obama from VBP OutSourcing!

Posted By: Cindi Ghormley (11/14/2008 at 01:12 PM)
Comment:

I am a guest at Marriott CPC and listened to Marriott's leaders this morning share the updates and state of the business for your global company. Their passion for the company, the associates, and being the right business partner is a breath of fresh air. And, while I've known it for some time, reading this block reinforces to me that they have a great leader with the same commitment and true spirit. Great blog!

Posted By: barry (11/14/2008 at 01:14 PM)
Comment:

i can only hope that this great nation can survive the trouble we are in. I hope and pray that our new administration is up to the job. The future of each of us and by the way the outstanding chain of hotels that is the marriott of today all are in harms way unless the ship of state is righted.

Posted By: David Broadbent (11/14/2008 at 01:15 PM)
Comment:

It was truly a marvelous election and Marriott does a fantastic job of corporate blogging. It's unfortunate that Proposition 8 passed in California. I am curious what role the Marriott family played in this event?

Posted By: Brendan Castle (11/14/2008 at 03:02 PM)
Comment:

Excellent story! Now I understand why Marriott Hotels are successful, and why I will continue to stay in them.

Posted By: Charles Wenz (11/14/2008 at 03:08 PM)
Comment:

Very well said both by Mr. Marriott and President-elect Obama. This is a great nation and a nation of great people. Our hopes and our prayers are with the president elect, and Mr. Marriott, keep up the great work!

Posted By: Emily Bohannon (11/14/2008 at 03:28 PM)
Comment:

A very inspirational moment in our history and an appropriate statement by the respected head of Marriott. I ahve noever befroe blogged but felt it was perhaps time. I truly hope and pray that Obama will prove to be the President we all need for our country and the world community. I admire and respect Senator John McCain tremendously, but it just did not seem to be his time. Now we must unite behind our new President-elect and hopefully see our nation prosper once again.

Posted By: Dave R (11/14/2008 at 04:53 PM)
Comment:

If I hold my breath waiting for bipartisanship, I will either turn blue or die or both. Mr. Marriott, you are an optimist.

Posted By: How much did the mormons give mccain (11/14/2008 at 05:19 PM)
Comment:

Gee Bill, you're now touting all the campaigns your millions you gave to the Mormon Church used to go against hope and equality - way to play both sides Bill!!

Posted By: Derek White (11/14/2008 at 06:15 PM)
Comment:

As one who voted for the other side, I still hold onto the vision that President-Elect Obama and Mr. Marriott have for the future of our country. Regardless of political affiliation, we must look toward the future for the benefit of our children and grandchildren.

Posted By: Avi Matalon (11/14/2008 at 06:21 PM)
Comment:

Shameless hypocrisy. Bill Marriott and his family donated tens of thousands of dollars to the Republicans, money that was used to smear President-elect Obama. All of a sudden, Bill Marriott has a change of heart. I don't believe it for a second, it's much too convenient.

Posted By: Monika Bakshi (11/14/2008 at 08:40 PM)
Comment:

Rightly said, Mr Bill!!! It is a proud and landmark victory for not Only President Obama, but for all those who have been striving hard to root out discrimination in any form! Victory for you too!!
Cheers

Posted By: C. Adams (11/15/2008 at 06:19 AM)
Comment:

As a first generation American born to parents who came through Ellis Island, I was raised with no prejudices, even though my parents grew up with them. So I probably have a somewhat difficult time realizing why no one ever thought a black person could be President. Now all blacks in America have no excuse for not succeeding.

Posted By: Randy F (11/15/2008 at 07:26 AM)
Comment:

While I agree that this is an historic moment, I hope the fact that Obama is an African American will not be the focus of our thoughts. Let's judge him not by the color of his skin, but by the strength of his character. My guess is he will make this an historic administration in more (positive) ways than by his outward appearance.

Posted By: Lyndsay (11/15/2008 at 09:36 AM)
Comment:

What a wonderful message. Despite potentially having differing personal and/or corporate preferences behind the democratic process, Mr. Marriott is rallying behind our President-Elect and working to propel our nation into better times. I applaud the efforts of all citizens to move beyond the ballot cast on November 4 and into the next administration where we all hope better times lie.

Posted By: M.T.Hess (11/15/2008 at 10:18 AM)
Comment:

A change has finally come! Thank you Barack Obama for being a dream come true. I believe this historic event is just what America needs to become more unified than we are right now. And it offers hope to our children that ANYONE can achieve ANYTHING they want with hard work, determination, and perseverance.

Posted By: Cindy Ness (11/15/2008 at 10:31 AM)
Comment:

As an avid traveller I look forward to the day when Americans are once again respected throughout the world. I do not blame the present political adminstration; however it is clear that since 9-11 we have lost respect throughout the world. I appreciate Obama's world view and am hopeful his administration will change how we are viewed throughout the world.

Posted By: Linda (11/15/2008 at 04:21 PM)
Comment:

I am very thankful as well as emotional to read Marriott's congratulations to President Elect Barack Obama! I am also thankful and moved with the positive comments I've read from the readers of Mr. Marriott's letter. And may God the Almighty truly bless all of you for your kind and encouraging words for our newly elect president, President Obama. One of the most teary things I did read was I certainly hope and pray that he's, Pres. Obama, is very sucessful written by Marriott in his letter. I too will keep Pres. Obama, his wife, his children and our great nation in prayer, continously! And please, let's not even forget our U.S. troops which are America's finest! God bless and keep our country. May God be Shepherd over America...home of the brave, land of the free! Thank you every one for your support for this black president. As for the negativity, it will not prevail. For YES WE CAN! We can do all things through Christ which strengthens us! Thank you.

Posted By: Sharon (11/15/2008 at 08:27 PM)
Comment:

How dare anyone shame another for any type of vote that is cast and passed! Including the votes that have taken place twice! That is what our United States voting is all about, even if you don't like the outcome the people have spoken and voted. Stop spending and wasting my tax dollars in the courts. It just doesn't always go your way, stop wining and...remember we vote in this country for a reason!

Posted By: Marriott blog reader (11/16/2008 at 07:37 AM)
Comment:

To David Broadbent:
If you didn't get a chance to read Mr. Marriott's preceding blog, The Facts About Marriott and California's Proposition 8, this should answer your question.

Posted By: Keith Ridley IV (11/16/2008 at 08:11 PM)
Comment:

These sentiments were well appreciated. I thank you for expressing your mark in history of your life. I am always loyal to this brand.