Islamabad Marriott Hotel Reopens

Posted:12/29/2008 1:32 PM

Islamabad Marriott Hotel Reopening It's been a short three months since terrorists struck our Marriott hotel in Islamabad, Pakistan.  It was a terrible loss for the owner of the hotel, Sadruddin Hashwani.  Many associates and guests were killed and the building was destroyed by fire.  But Mr. Hashwani was determined from that first night to rebuild the hotel, and I'm proud to tell you that yesterday, the hotel began to reopen.  What a triumph of the spirit.

Spending the Holidays with Family

Posted:12/22/2008 3:37 PM

IStock_000004713662XSmall We're nearing the end of 2008 and I wanted to take this opportunity to reach out to all of my readers and wish them a happy holiday and all the best for 2009.  I'll be spending my Christmas in Washington, D.C.  Every Christmas Eve, we have all our children and grandchildren over for Christmas Eve dinner.  This year there will be 27 of us.

Dad Always Said, Take Care of Your Employees

Posted:12/17/2008 7:47 PM

JWMarriottSrWaitStaffCAP Today is a very special day for me and for my family.  My dad, John Willard Marriott, Sr., is being inducted into the Labor Hall of Fame at the U.S. Department of Labor here in Washington, D.C.

How I Learned to Pay Attention to the Details

Posted:12/11/2008 5:28 PM

IStock_000003640599XSmall It's no secret that I'm known as a stickler for detail.  I try very hard to visit almost 300 hotels a year and give them my own version of the "white glove test" to look and see how things are going, to make sure they're as good for our guests as we can make them and that our guests have the best possible experience when they stay with us.

Reflections on the Economy and Marriott's Prospects for 2009

Posted:12/09/2008 7:11 PM

Sorenson, arne color photo_high res preferred Hi, I'm Arne Sorenson, Marriott's chief financial officer, guest-blogging for Bill Marriott, who wanted me to share with you our reflections on the economy and Marriott's prospects.  With the slowdown, our stock value has eroded meaningfully in the past year.  Just because we have plenty of company doesn't make the decline any easier.  Before things get better, we're going to have to navigate through a tough 2009.  We said last October that we expected revenue per available room or RevPAR, one of the industry's key performance measures, to be down at least three percent in North America next year.  Just about a month ago, Bill Marriott reported that our business outlook had further weakened.  Industry-wide data has also been showing continuing RevPAR declines.

Dogs Really Are Man's Best Friend

Posted:12/03/2008 4:53 PM

Treadmill I enjoy working out with Pilates.  It's a good form of exercise and I'm trying to do it at least twice a week.  I've also been devoted to my treadmill since I had some heart attacks early on in life.  I've been a devotee of using my treadmill at least 5 days a week.  I usually do it at night, around 9:30.

A couple of nights ago, I was on the phone with my daughter-in-law Carrie.  It was about 9:30 and I was about to get on the treadmill.  I turned around and there came my golden retriever Murphy walking into my library, holding the towel from the treadmill in his mouth.  He was letting me know that it was time to get off the phone and get some exercise.