Remembering Slinging Sammy Baugh

Posted:01/29/2009 5:12 PM

4936737-535x800 I attended my very first professional football game with the Redskins back in 1942.  I went to Griffith Stadium in Washington, D.C., and watched the incredible performance of Slinging Sammy Baugh.  He's recognized as the greatest Redskin ever.  Sammy Baugh was Washington's folk hero of the late 1930's and 1940's.  He passed away this past December 17th at the age of 91.

Marriott Helping Travel Agents Provide More Personal Service

Posted:01/26/2009 3:08 PM

HtlExcLogo In today's era of technology, there's so much that can be done online.  You can buy clothes, pay your bills, even book your hotel room through Marriott.com.  With the popularity of the Internet, the old, conventional ways of doing things often seem to be forgotten, especially among the younger generation.

On Duty for Our Guests Around the Clock

Posted:01/22/2009 6:26 PM

IStock_000003641438XSmall On January 10, I traveled to Norfolk, Virginia, for the commissioning of the newest Nimitz class aircraft carrier, the George H. W. Bush.  It was a beautiful day and the signal flags that draped the ship were blowing smartly against a very blue sky.

Both President Bushes were in attendance and gave very fitting and touching remarks.  But my biggest thrill was seeing over 2,000 Blue Jackets run up the ship's ladder and take their position at attention on the flight deck as the ship was officially commissioned and the first watch was set.

Obama's Election Brings Us One Step Closer to Dr. King's Dream

Posted:01/19/200911:39 AM

White house There is a lot of excitement and anticipation throughout the United States and the rest of the world about the inauguration of Barack Obama, America's first African-American president.  Never in the history of our country has there been such global interest and enthusiasm surrounding the election of our president.

On the Same Playing Field with the University of Florida Gators

Posted:01/14/2009 4:51 PM

IStock_000002031740XSmall Each year, Donna and I spend the holidays and part of January at our Harbor Beach Marriott hotel in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  It's right on the ocean, and this year the weather has been terrific.

This January, our hotel was the headquarters hotel for the BCS college football bowl - this was the national championship.  I asked the BCS committee chairman if I could meet the University of Florida coach, Urban Meyer, to thank him for his great previous coaching job at my alma mater, the University of Utah.

Greening Marriott's Supply Chain

Posted:01/06/2009 5:09 PM

Greening Marriotts Supply Chain Today, I'm going to talk to you about toilet paper . . . and Marriott's commitment to the environment.  Seriously, there really is a connection.

Earlier this year, we announced our five-point environmental strategy to help address climate change.  One of these goals is to green our $10 billion supply chain.  Because of our size and scale, we can ask our vendors, "How can you make your products more environmentally friendly?"  And they've come up with some great solutions that don't cost any more money, which is good news in the current economy.