Dimming the Lights for Earth Hour

Posted:03/26/2009 7:44 PM

Earth Hour Logo To kick off Environmental Awareness Month this April, we are participating in an event on Saturday created by the World Wildlife Fund called Earth Hour.  At 8:30 p.m. local time on March 28th, many of our hotels and offices around the world will be turning off all their non-essential lights for exactly one hour to conserve energy, raise awareness of the need to address climate change and create global conversation about the environmental future of our planet.  The World Wildlife Fund's goal is to unite 1 billion people from 1,000 cities around the world in this great effort.

A Unique Residence Inn Serving the Needs of the Mayo Clinic

Posted:03/24/2009 5:24 PM
Phxmh_phototour01 It's the end of March, so that means I'm taking my annual trip to Scottsdale, Arizona.  I've come out here for spring break to our JW Marriott Camelback Inn every year for 41 years to celebrate my birthday and spend time with my family.  It's always great to have everybody together, particularly in one place - especially a place with such beautiful weather and scenery.

But, like I do on most of my trips, I will be visiting some of our Marriott properties while I'm in the area.  I'll even be attending the grand opening ceremony for our newest Residence Inn in the Scottsdale/Phoenix area.  This is a very unique hotel as it actually sits on the campus of the Mayo Clinic hospital and caters to patients and their families, as well as researchers and other medical professionals who are visiting the hospital.

Our Residence Inn brand is perfect for many patients of the Mayo Clinic and their families as these hotels are designed for guests who plan to stay with us for an extended period of time.  Of course, every room is a suite - we offer studios and 1 and 2 bedroom suites - so there's plenty of space to spread out.  Each one has separate living and dining areas with a full kitchen.  Residence Inn also offers all guests a complimentary grocery shopping service, or for those who don't want to do their own cooking, there is a full complimentary breakfast every morning.

And this particular hotel actually has a separate lounge on each floor to meet the different needs of our guests.  For example, on one floor there is a media lounge with a computer, TV and DVDs available to rent at the front desk.  On another floor, there's a family lounge that offers puzzles and board games.  And there's, of course, a quiet lounge where guests can just relax or catch up on some reading.

I'm excited to visit this hotel as the Mayo Clinic holds a very special place in my heart.  In 1962, our daughter Debbie, at the age of 5, was one of the very first patients in America to undergo open heart surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.  Debbie survived this operation and is now a senior officer in our company, in charge of all relationships with the government and government affairs.  She has five children and a grandchild.  Her heart condition has been totally solved and she's a joy to our lives, thanks to the Mayo Clinic.

The Mayo Clinic provides world class care and service to all of its patients and I'm thrilled that we now have a Residence Inn hotel right on the campus that will provide these patients with the same level of care and service outside of the hospital.

I'm Bill Marriott and thanks for helping me keep Marriott on the move.

A Unique Residence Inn Serving the Needs of the Mayo Clinic

Celebrating 25 Years for JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts

Posted:03/17/2009 2:38 PM

Wasjw_phototour36 The very first JW Marriott hotel opened right here in Washington, D.C. way back in 1984.  And this year marks our 25th anniversary of the JW Marriott brand.  We never envisioned making it a separate brand.  We really just wanted to honor my dad who started the company in 1927.

A Marriott Associate Who Became a Lifesaver

Posted:03/12/2009 6:06 PM

Fllsb_phototour01 Not too long ago, I blogged about my stay at the Harbor Beach Marriott Resort in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  Over the years I've been coming here, I've formed close relationships with many of the associates who are part of a great team.  One of these associates is Robert, one of the resort's drivers. He and I have driven around many times together during our trips down here.

Great Leaders Emerge from Difficult Times

Posted:03/09/2009 6:47 PM

Shaw Marriott Berquist Sorenson I've been through eight recessions in my lifetime and, while this one feels deeper and less predictable, I've learned what companies like Marriott need to do to come out strong.  Cost cutting is obviously the key to survival today.  But the wrong kind of cuts will delay a comeback and erode our competitive position.  We need to invest in people, product and service innovation that will reap benefits in the future.

Meetings Mean Business and Jobs

Posted:03/05/200910:07 PM

Meetings Today I'm blogging from the great city of New Orleans.  I'm here attending a conference we hold every year for General Managers from our Courtyard, SpringHill Suites and Fairfield Inn brands.  We held this meeting to promote leadership, teamwork and to drive revenue.  When it's over, our GMs will have an advantage over their competition.

They'll learn and share best practices in seminars about how to create sales opportunities in the downturn, improve communications skills that cross generations, as well as reinforce our industry leading corporate culture to General Managers who are new to Marriott.