Marriott Associates "Think Ahead"

Posted: December 3, 2010 02:29:53 PM

Think Ahead Fundraising Team Not too long ago, I received a letter from one of our associates in Canada named Jen.  She was born legally blind, but found Marriott to be a welcoming place to work, despite her disability.  Throughout her life, Jen has had a total of thirty surgeries, including five on her brain.

After the most recent operation on her brain, she was told by her doctor this past August that she didn’t have to have any more surgeries and she did not have to see him again.  Jen’s doctor works at a top Canadian teaching hospital, the London Health Sciences Center in London, Ontario.  And, as a way to express her gratitude for everything her doctor and the staff did for her, Jen decided to hold a fundraiser to benefit the hospital that she called “Think Ahead.”

On her own, Jen was able to secure many items for her fundraiser’s silent auction, including tickets to hockey games and spa treatments.  Then, the members of her Marriott family stepped up.  They said they wanted to help her after all she’d been through, and assisted her in securing hotel stays from several of our Marriott properties in Canada and the U.S. for the silent auction.

The “Think Ahead” event was held at the beginning of November and raised nearly $12,000 for the hospital.  I’m so proud and impressed that so many of our hotels and associates came together for this great event.  Not only did they give back to their community by raising money for the hospital, they showed their support for a fellow associate and Marriott family member.

I’d like to thank and commend Jen and all of our associates who participated in the “Think Ahead” event for truly embodying the Marriott Spirit To Serve.

I’m Bill Marriott and thanks for helping me keep Marriott on the move.

Marriott Associates Think Ahead

Comments

Posted By: Elizabeth K, Liddicoat (12/03/2010 at 08:40 PM)
Comment:

A most courageous, gracious, and heartwarming recounting and accounting. Commendations to her and those who were involved in the effort.

Posted By: ashish golcha (12/04/2010 at 12:49 AM)
Comment:

Appreciate the gesture and the attempt taken by the employees.

As a third eye - makes me feel to be a part of the Marriott family in future, if not would make it that my stay experiences are made in such properties who support ideas and encounters.

Posted By: Ann Robinson (12/04/2010 at 04:34 AM)
Comment:

Dear Bill, Thanks for sharing Jen's story, she has a powerful message about how gratitude works, and how one human spirit can ignite and compel other spirits to share in something which permeates the human soul, and everyone ends up feeling good.

I thought of you this evening, when a Honolulu man named Mark Piscioneri, spoke about electric cars at the Waikiki Neighbor Association meeting this evening.

Mark's passion filled talk got the board fired up, and I got fired up when he stated that two Waikiki beach hotels will have charging stations installed in January!

I thought that,"maybe one of the hotels - is the Ilikai," LOL, what a nice coincidence that would be. LOL

Ann Robinson

Posted By: Patsy Weikart (12/04/2010 at 09:26 AM)
Comment:

I always enjoy your articles to read.
And the Marriott still my favorite hotel.

Merry Christmas Bill & all your staff every place in the World.

Posted By: Ken Leonard (12/04/2010 at 11:13 AM)
Comment:

Hi Bill:
Enjoy your communications' and opportunity for feedback. I recently retired as a gold member...suggest gold member status remain annually as a reward for our loyaly, many of us will significantly reduce corporate travel. I'm a 500+ stay person. Secondly, I accumulate significant pts by using Chase MR card. However; when redeeming, on 2 occasions (Aruba & Key West) we were given the worst room in the facilities...we spend significant $$$ to earn pts but the site doesn't acknowledge our loyalty. Attempting #3 redemption in Ft. Lauderdale this winter. Recommend we should be treated better when redeeming pts. Pls advise, thx.

Posted By: Juliette Adams (12/04/2010 at 07:39 PM)
Comment:

Mr. Marriott: Very inspiring blog. Indeed acts of kindness and community support truly keeps the world moving. It is great when a company’s culture as “MARRIOTT” embraces the goodwill and the “Spirit to Serve.”

My high school experience at St. Rose’s in Guyana illuminates the very spirit. Our motto: “Serviam”: “I will serve.” Our school song “Serviam, “ an extract: “Storm or cloud will not dismay us we will do and dare. When it’s dark we’ll just remember that the stars are there. If we fail we will rise unconquered, set our armor right. Hope and Love will heal the bruises. Faith will win the fight.”
Hence in Thinking Ahead,

Terica and I have begun an initiative called the “Caribbean American 1 times 18 mil campaign” with the goal of a contribution of $18 million dollars towards the San Diego Ronald Mc Donald House. We know it is a long journey, however we carry of the words of the Guyanese proverb in our heart “One, one dutty build dam,” in addition to the words of Teddy Roosevelt given in Paris in 1910 as our banner:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Thanks for sharing and bringing great light of the power in our humanness as you keep Marriott on the Move.

Posted By: Bill (12/05/2010 at 06:09 PM)
Comment:

That's really a heartwarming story, Mr. Marriott. Thank you for sharing, and thank you to all of those who made it happen.

Posted By: Sharon Williams (12/06/2010 at 09:18 AM)
Comment:

I recently stayed at the Marriott located in Baltimore on the waterfront. I want to commend Lamar *****, an engineer who fixed my television. He said, " You have my name and I guarantee that you will have your televisision fixed" It is rare to see an employee that committed to excellence. KUDOS!

Posted By: Valerie Bartoli, AGD Executive Director for Region 11 (12/09/2010 at 02:12 PM)
Comment:

Dear Mr. Marriott-I am the regional 11 executive director for Academy of General Dentistry. I wanted to let you know of the exceptional service I am getting at your property here in Seattle, WA. The employees of the Seatac Airport Marriott have treated me with first class service. From the your GM-Jeff Hart to banquet service even the latte girl they treat each customer with a Smile and outstanding customer service. I host my events at this location monthly now due to the experience I receive. My hat is off to you for the leadership training you must offer to the Marriott empolyees. It shows in every detail. Refreshing these days where customer service has gone to the way side. I have been hosting my events now some four years and accept to have future events there because of this service. Outstanding-Thank you, Valerie Bartoli, Region 11 AGD Executive Director

Posted By: Leighton Evans (12/10/2010 at 10:08 AM)
Comment:

It is so nice to read of the warmth and compassion that is extended from a big business in a personal and individual way.
I was looking at your site because I have a young friend in Kosovo who is a graduate and seeking to work in the hotel industry, he is keen in==to advance in management and tourism.
The Kosovo Serbia conflict has left many people feeling low in confidence and it is good to see this young man want to better himself for personal and national reasons.
if you can direct him through me, to any training scheme he could consider in house as he has no funds I would be appreciative.
In this world there are many who strive to be honest and decent people and this young man is one of these, with a commitment and facility to work hard and the intelligence to prosper in a good way, for himself and his newly created country.

Posted By: Barcelona Apartments (12/15/2010 at 07:24 AM)
Comment:

What a fantastic effort, congratulations to all those involved.

Posted By: Irene (12/27/2010 at 09:18 AM)
Comment:

Marriott is the best one because there is always keeping love in his mind

Posted By: sam (12/27/2010 at 11:41 PM)
Comment:

i just wanna say...........Awesome and Great one..

Posted By: Walter (12/28/2010 at 06:51 AM)
Comment:

I see that as CEO of Marriott you still have respect for people who started out as your father, at the bottom. I have read about your dad, and the fact that he stopped in DC on his way back from missionary work in New England. How he built such an empire I do not know, but it seems he passed on a strong sense compassion. It is a great thing to see someone struggle against obstacles as be recognised. It is too bad that people in lesser positions in the Marriott chain of hotels are not always as insightful. Hopefully your leadership will make them see the light of day.

Posted By: man (12/30/2010 at 02:35 PM)
Comment:

This story was a unique and enliving event in the careers in the Marriott Family of Lodging .

Great story and a great company