In Good Company

Posted: October 6, 2011 12:18:46 PM

Listen to Blog

To stay in business for almost 85 years, well, you know you’re doing something right.  To stay in business for this long and be recognized as one of the most ethical companies, that tells me we’re doing a lot of things right.

Ethisphere logo

For the fourth year, Ethisphere Institute named Marriott as one of the World's Most Ethical Companies, selecting us for engaging in business practices and initiatives that are instrumental to our success, benefitting the community, and raising the bar for ethical standards within the industry.  That’s great praise and we’re in great company.

Ed Ryan, our general counsel, was invited by The Ethisphere Institute to join representatives from companies such as PepsiCo, GE and Ford in ringing the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange.  Through Ed’s leadership, “how we do business” remains true to my father’s founding principles.

Marriott has grown from two employees in 1927 to over 300,000 today.  We’ve expanded from a nine-stool root beer stand to about 3700 hotels in 71 countries.  We’ve been able to do this because of our core values one of which is conducting business with integrity.  We believe that how we do business is as important as the business we do.

Upholding high ethical standards is important to us.  That’s why I applaud all of our associates and business partners worldwide for helping us hold true to our values.  We’re honored to be in “good company” with the world’s most ethical businesses.

I’m Bill Marriott and thanks for helping me keep Marriott on the Move.

Click here to learn more about Ethisphere's 2011 rankings and methodology

Comments

Posted By: Freight Forwarders (10/06/2011 at 05:29 PM)
Comment:

I really appreciate the research you put into it.

Posted By: Tom Osterman (10/06/2011 at 05:35 PM)
Comment:

Bill: I zeroed in on that paragraph about growing to 3700 hotels in 71 countries and you credited it to always doing business with integrity.

Right now the country is observing a war between the Democrats and Republicans. Democrats see the need for more regulations because they don't trust businesses (reflecting on what happened in 08 and 09). Republicans want no regulations letting the market and businesses to regulating themselves.

If the politicos could somehow guarantee that businesses - especially the larger ones - would operate with the same integrity as Marriott does, I would say "remove all restraints" because we can trust them.

Posted By: Hank Mancini (10/06/2011 at 06:33 PM)
Comment:

Been a Marriott fan (frequent guest, shareholder, and married at a Marriott!) since...'87 and one of the reasons is that Marriott associates have almost always treated me the way I would treat someone else - with respect.

Posted By: Brenda T. McKee (10/06/2011 at 08:02 PM)
Comment:

Dear Sir,

Our thanks is to you and your family--for staying faithful to each other and to the Marriott way of living. I have been with the CO. going on to the 13th year come Jan.12. I'am a widow for 17yr.,your ideal work places has kept me&my daughter.Thank you from the heart. B.T.McKee

Posted By: Tamara A. Bolding (10/07/2011 at 11:28 PM)
Comment:

As a former Marriott International employee, I have always been proud of your company's commitment to associates. This Ethisphere Institute recognition is very well deserved and I congratulate you on another remarkable achievement!

With that said, I ask, would Marriott be the front runner to champion those unemployed individuals and take a new stand on those long-term unemployed and help turn the nations unemployment rate around? To look beyond the HR practices and stereotypical attitudes of the unemployed, you might find that the Spirit to Serves still lives in us!

Keep up the wonderful work!

Posted By: Kazuya Obata (10/12/2011 at 11:21 PM)
Comment:

As a big fan of Marriott International, I would like to congratulate on this honor your company, your all associates, and your all business partners. I love your business philosophies: “spirit to serve” and "Take care of the associate, and they'll take care of the guest.” The practices have benefitted each customer, company, and community as well as you for more than 80 years. I sincerely hope you proudly keep your integrity from now on too.

Posted By: Lynette McCoy (10/13/2011 at 10:21 AM)
Comment:

I have used the Marriott credit card and stayed at Marriott hotels since I started working for a government agency in 1990. I agree with the high standards of moral conduct at Marriott. This morning I checked out of a SpringHill Suites Hotel in Pigeon Forge, TN. Shortly after checking out I received a phone call from the desk clerk that Housekeeping personnel had found a small bag with expensive jewelry that I had left in my room. I just returned from picking up the jewelry and am so grateful that there are still honest people in the world! Thank you Marriott for many years of great service!

Posted By: Helen Laman (10/27/2011 at 06:29 PM)
Comment:

Dear Bill,
Stayed at the Philadelphia Marriott as we had an early morning flight. We went for dinner at the hotel restaurant because it was the only game in town. I expected mediocre food at best.
I was about to order a salad when our waitress happy said, "All of our fish is fresh and wonderful." We both ordered fish dinners. She was right. We were shocked. Our opinion of Marriott has changed. Thanks Bill.

Posted By: Robert Curtis (11/01/2011 at 09:32 AM)
Comment:

My wife and I recently stayed at your Fairfield Inn, Inner Harbor, Baltimore and at the COurtyard Waterfront in Charleston, SC. The experience was very agreeable, nice rooms, great locations, friendly staff - what one expects from Marriott. A couple additions would help make it even better. First, why not two arm chairs in each room instead of one? If two people are in the room one must sit on the bed or the desk chair, not the best arrangement. Second, why not a shelf outside the door to each room? Every time we stay I bring back coffee for the two of us and must sit the cups on the floor while I open the door. A shelf would reduce spills and just make it easier for the guest. Please let me know if you would like more helpful hints.

Sincerely, Robert

Posted By: Nursinta (01/01/2012 at 10:11 PM)
Comment:

Dear Mr. Marriott, I've been worked in JW Marriott Jakarta for 6 years from 2001 to 2007. thank you for the time that i had in Marriott Indonesia but I really want to see you since you sent me a letter when i was in hospital because of the Bomb was exploded in 2003. I'm in US now in VA,..May God bless you always...

Posted By: Angel Holcomb (03/01/2012 at 03:32 PM)
Comment:

Good Afternoon,

I am writing this e-mail in the sincere hope that it reaches the appropriate people. I scheduled to hold a four day event March 8-11, 2012 at The Residence Inn Arlington Capital View back in January 2012.

I reserved a room block and meeting room and even flew in from New York City to survey the site. I advertised onlline about the venue and even included it in all the conference literature.

On Monday February 27,2012 I spoke with the George Vatter, Jr. who took all of the final details for my upcoming event and was WONDERFUL with respect to easing my concerns and answering all of my questions.

The following day I received a disturbing phone call stating that the hotel had been overbooked on the days of my event and that it needed to be moved to another location.

Needless to say I was unnerved and I hung up on the rep who called me and immedeately calle George. Well after explaining everything I had been told, he apologized and immediately initiated a course of action to rectify the situation.

Words cannot express how pleasant, honest and considerate George and his team have been of my concerns. From the time the mixup began until right this moment, George has been nothing short of EVERYTHING I personally know the Marriott to expect out of their associates.

As of right now he has managed to locate a new suitable venue not far from the original hotel and has taken the time to personally meet with me twice. I flew in from New York because I did not feel comfortable agreeing to a new venue sight unseen, and George not only offered me a complimentary nights stay at the Renaissance, he gave me dinner and breakfast and made sure that I was shuttled to the new location and was shown around by Mr. Ray Sirisakorn, who by the way was also simply AMAZING.

I also met with Johnathan Kaufman (JK) and they both took every measure to make sure that my guests and I were going to be properly taken care of for the upcoming event.

These wonderful gentlemen were a dream team to me at a time that I felt like I was living a nightmare! It didn't matter that my group was small or that my event was a high paying group to them, all that mattered was that the Marriott standard was met and exceeded.

I truly appreciate all of the work and effort that has gone into making my upcoming event a success and I look forward to sending you a follow up e-mail detailing the outcome.

Thank You so much for your time in reading this e-mail and I look forward to a response from someone soon. These gentlemen's exceptional service should not go unrewarded. They are truly the cream of the Marriott crop.

Ms. Angel Holcomb