The Year of the Dragon

Posted: January 23, 2012 12:03:14 PM

ChineseHAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!

MarHKSkyCityBanner

2012 is the year of the Dragon. Let the week-long celebrations begin. That’s right, an entire week of brilliant fireworks and colorful parades. It’s truly an amazing spectacle. Think Times Square – but a whole lot bigger!

Our Marriott hotels in Shanghai, Beijing and Sanya, will have ceremonies featuring Chinese drummers and Kung Fu artists. Food is also very important to New Year's celebrations. The Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel created a unique dim sum dumpling menu in honor of the Dragon.  Each dish is a work of art.

Chinese New Year Coconut Pudding and Taro and Turnip Cake.

Loh Hei Chinese Salmon Salad.

Pancake with pan-fried goose liver, sliced pork and chicken liver.

Chinese-New-Year-Food
The JW Marriott Hotel in Seoul celebrates with Korean customs.  Marriott employees wear colorful Korean costumes and hand out traditional treats like sticky rice cakes.

Marriott hotels are truly apart of the communities they call home.  Like the dragon that represents strength, passion and good fortune, Marriott has strength in its brands, passion in its guests and good fortune for continued growth.  Recently, we signed our 100th hotel in China and are opening one hotel a month during the next three years. Each Asian hotel opening has its own traditional celebration. I dotted the eye of the lion in 2007 when Marriott opened its 3,000th property, JW Marriott Beijing.   Dotting eye of lion - JW Marriott Beijing opening 2007

Later this year, I plan on traveling back to China with my family.   I’ll be 80-years old and I can’t wait to learn more about its customs and help promote tourism.  So, happy New Year to our friends in Asia. Good fortune to everyone.

I’m Bill Marriott and thanks for helping me keep Marriott on the move.Chinese

Listen to Blog Chinese New Year

Comments

Posted By: David Broabent (01/23/2012 at 05:12 PM)
Comment:

Mr. Marriott, safe travels and a happy new year to you as well.

Posted By: John (01/23/2012 at 05:17 PM)
Comment:

What beautiful delacacies! I've never been to China, but it is at the top of my travel list.

Posted By: Carolyn (01/23/2012 at 05:20 PM)
Comment:

What an exciting country! The U.S. should celebrate New Year's for an entire week. Imagine what Times Square would look like?

Posted By: Sue (01/23/2012 at 05:24 PM)
Comment:

It's great to see a global company celebrate its different cultures. Have you thought of adding those dishes to all the menus during the Chinese New Year? I bet it would be a big hit.

Posted By: WILDER SAVANY (01/23/2012 at 06:32 PM)
Comment:

The DRAGON YEAR is good for CHINA as it is good for MARRIOTT, this is what I call "MARRIOTT ON THE MOVE" Congratulations Mr. Marriott and the whole team.
Bless,

Wilder Savany
www.megainnovationsgroup.com

Posted By: Bob Lawrence (01/23/2012 at 10:53 PM)
Comment:

The JW Marriott Beijing, the JW in Hong Kong, and the JW Shanghai at Tomorrow Square are three of our favorites! While we never stayed over "New Year" we found the service wonderful, the food exquisite, and the ambiance unequaled. We loved the concierge lounges and their staff. Good Fortune to you!

Posted By: Stacey Vaughn (01/24/2012 at 11:30 AM)
Comment:

I love how Marriott has stretched to many countries throughout the world. I am proud to be an employee of this incredible company. I wish I could be apart of the celebratoins in Asia this week.

Posted By: Cristhian (01/26/2012 at 01:37 PM)
Comment:

I applied for JW Marriott in Lima, Peru. I really want to be part of this wonderful worldwide company! Best wishes for the future~

Posted By: LaRochelle Business School of Tourism (01/26/2012 at 02:14 PM)
Comment:

Great news for all students of Tourism & Hotel Management looking towards Marriott for an international career.

Posted By: Dan (01/27/2012 at 10:15 PM)
Comment:

I Think is so amazing that the Marriott hotels are truly apart of the communities they call home. I wish all hotels could be so supportive of there communities

~Dan~
thetravelingclown

Posted By: Richard Simpson (01/29/2012 at 10:54 AM)
Comment:

Ah yes, Chinese New Year in London. Once again, I wonder why I choose to check into a Marriott hotel??

Marriott Country Hall, checking in as a Gold member, with a River View room reserved.

My basic, standard question to the recetionist "? Is this a quite room?". I asked it again slightly differently and also asked about a higher floor.

The answer was basically "this is what you are going to get, it is a quite room".

50 feet outside the window (it is impossible to get closer) is a massive VERY VERY loud drumming program taking place. Unfortuntely, they did not start rattling the windows until about 15 minutes after I was in the room and unpacked.

Had I not been traveling for 3 days and already had everthing hung up, and facting a dinner meeting in 2.5 hours, I would have checked out.

Once again, an example of the people at the front desk not having the slightest idea of what is going on in the real world. That is all I can suppose, as the alternative is that they are simply do not care about guests spending money at a Marriott brand in the futre.

Posted By: Judith Craw (02/01/2012 at 09:21 AM)
Comment:

Congratulations on being named as one of China's top employers by CRF Institute! What an honor and a great start to establishing ourselves in the region!

Posted By: Jeff Landolt (02/07/2012 at 10:15 PM)
Comment:

Yes, a wonderful time for the People's Republic of China and for the growing family of Marriott hotels within Mainland China. I came back to my room on the evening of January 23 at the China Hotel in Guangzhou to find a wonderful stuffed little dragon on my bedstand. Best regards,

Posted By: Cli738 (02/09/2012 at 08:10 PM)
Comment:

恭喜发财!!
It means "wish you a good fortune and happy new year" in Chinese.
I'm proud of being a family menber of Marriott here in China~! Thank you! Uncle Bill!