Living the American Dream

Posted: March 5, 2012 10:08:22 AM

My family has lived the American Dream.  My father started out herding sheep and saw an opportunity and drove cross-country from Utah to Washington, D.C. to open up an A&W Root Beer stand.  That was way back in 1927.

Many of us forget where we came from, but not me.  I was reminded of all this when I recently received the “Keepers of the American Dream Award” from the National Immigration Forum.  The honor is what Marriott is all about: opportunity, no matter where someone is born.   Remarks

At the awards ceremony, I talked about the fact that 50% of our hotel General Managers started in the hourly ranks.  Those are the kind of opportunities our industry offers.

I also talked about Marriott’s language training program called Sed de Saber, which means “thirst for knowledge.”  We’ve helped thousands of associates improve their English.

I know it’s more difficult than ever for people to realize the American Dream—whether it’s immigrants or native-born Americans.  That’s why I’m hopeful our elected leaders will start making some progress on improving the economy and the job market so they can also start focusing on other important issues like comprehensive immigration reform.

I haven’t forgotten my family’s beginnings.  And after accepting this award, I’m going to keep doing everything I can to help others achieve the American Dream and open doors to a world of opportunity for our associates.

I’m Bill Marriott and thanks for helping me keep Marriott on the move.

Listen To Blog

Comments

Posted By: Judy Wood (03/05/2012 at 05:12 PM)
Comment:

This is a great guy who, hopefully, is in person as thought-provoking and humble as his blogging depicts of him! KUDOS Mr Marriott for taking time to share with all your customers who have, over time....become part of your extended FAMILY!!

Posted By: Syed T. A. Naqvi (03/05/2012 at 05:39 PM)
Comment:

Your father and you are the shiny lights on the hill a guide and a model for the rest of us to work hard, take risks and make it happen. When I worked in Washington DC in my first summer job as a teenager in the late nineteen fifties, I use to eat lunch at the Hot Shoppes on 14th and G Street NW. I have followed the Marriott progress to this day. When you retire from active participation, hopefully, the Marriott name will stay but your presence will be immensely missed. Syed T. A. Naqvi, Platinum Emeritus.

Posted By: Daniel and Mary Ann Thurmer (03/05/2012 at 07:01 PM)
Comment:

The success of you and your family gives hope to many and makes us all proud. Congratulations on helping others to do the same within your company. We recognize your choices are well thought out when you make a choice like Arne Sorenson. Perhaps a choice not from among the disadvantaged, but definitely bright, talented, insightful, just and fair. Surrounding yourself with the right people, while leading by example and developing a company culture well groomed makes all the difference in the outcome. Way to go! We enjoy our experiences supporting your work/staying in the wonderful places you make available to users of a wide range of economic levels.

Posted By: John W. Doherty (03/05/2012 at 11:09 PM)
Comment:

Thank you Bill Marriott for this posting. The United States Congress would do well to heed your inspirational comments about the need for comprehensive immigration reform and do it now!

Posted By: Yohandra Santiago (03/06/2012 at 08:35 AM)
Comment:

Thank you Mr. marriott for inspire me to keep going and believe in myself. I started working for Marriott Hotel in 1997 as a housekeeper and didnt know english at all but you gave me the chance to go to school and improve it. Today I am an accounting coordinator and very proud to work for your company that I consider my company too. Thank you for help me live my american dream every day. I thak you and you and your family. God bless you.

Posted By: Christopher P. Crounse (03/06/2012 at 09:10 AM)
Comment:

Bill,
My lovely mother grew up in France and to this day is still a French citizen. She had a very rough childhood because of growing up during the war WW11 and moved to the good old USA at a young age. She instilled into all of her children to work hard, be polite, and the American dream will come. She is correct and has 4 children who have become hard working polite members of one of the greatest countries in the world. I have two children and am currently doing my best to instill the same in them as my mother instilled in all of us. God bless America and Mom’s everywhere.

Regards,
Chris

Posted By: Grace (03/06/2012 at 02:15 PM)
Comment:

How about housing the homeless? That would be a great thing you could do easily. :)

Posted By: Peggy Crawford (03/06/2012 at 07:33 PM)
Comment:

Dear Bill,

Please bring back some of the marriott rewards that we held in such high regard. The "Hoppers", "All Inclusive with Points", weekend breakfast in lieu of no concierge and concierge service on the weekends.
Thanks for listening.

Posted By: Peggy Liu (03/07/2012 at 07:54 AM)
Comment:

Mr. Marriott, I am a 25-year associate of your company, and I thank you and the Marriott family each and every day of the opportunity that you have offered me. I came from Malaysia, and is now in a senior sales position...thank you.

Posted By: Tom Osterman (03/07/2012 at 08:11 AM)
Comment:

What is amazing about Bill Marriott is that while we have never met, one feels as though he has been a friend for a very long time. Possibly that is because, though he is may be among the 1% financially that so much is written about today, he really belongs to all of us that make up the 99%. He is a very rare individual indeed.

Posted By: Andre Brasil (03/07/2012 at 01:05 PM)
Comment:

Dear Mr. Marriott,
We have been in India for the past 2 weeks, and arrived today to the Marriott Jaipur. Needless to say, we felt at home, safe, and were amazed with the tasteful and comfortable hotel room.
As much as we love Indian food, it is tough for a foreign to have every meal with such strong spices.
We just came from the Cafe, where we had the most amazing dining experience. As usual, Marriott could just read the traveller's mind. In this case it was: "what have you been dreaming of, since you arrived to India?"... one could have it all... from wonderful Sushi and Sashimi, Tepanhaki, to great a la minute pasta, to arabic appetizers, to-dream-of-salads, where we know it is safe to eat raw food... and of course, a fine selection of Indian food. Not to mention the wonderful desserts and the elegant and yet friendly service, and great atmosphere.
Thank you, Mr. Marriott, for creating safe ports to your clients all over the world.
Regards, André and Cristina

Posted By: gracesoft (03/09/2012 at 10:15 AM)
Comment:

Indeed very informative article. Great Job done and Thank you for sharing your knowledge. We at Hotels and Resorts will surely take benefit of your experience and enhance our efforts on Internet Marketing of our products spread across the nation!